Dr Marcus Richter gives advice on labour law to national and international companies.
More on labour and employment law: see also our restructuring blog Re.Work.
Dr Marcus Richter offers advice on all aspects of individual and collective labour law to national and international companies. In particular, he has considerable experience advising on corporate acquisitions, reorganisations, restructurings, outsourcing and integration projects. As part of this he is responsible for both the strategic conception and the negotiations with unions and works councils on wage agreements, settlement of interests, social plan, company agreements and arbitration proceedings, as well as implementing measures that include the management of any litigation that may be required.
A further area of focus is advice on labour law compliance, in particular in connection with employee transfers or hiring contractors and subcontractors in contrast with the (illegal) “borrowing” of workers. Dr Richter also regularly advises companies and, in specific cases, is consulted by top executives on drafting employment and service agreements for the company’s executive bodies and in connection with their termination.
His focus is on the automotive, metal and electronics, retail, pharmaceutical and chemical sectors.
Dr Marcus Richter is a partner at GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB and has been a member of the managing board since 2021.
Before joining GÖRG, he was a research assistant for two well-known labour law professors, Prof. Ulrich Preis and Prof. Peter Hanau, in Cologne.
After gaining a degree in law from the University of Cologne, Dr Marcus Richter completed a doctorate at the University of Cologne, mentored by Prof. Ulrich Preis, with a thesis on a labour law matter (industrial action measures that actively hinder production).
Dr Marcus Richter completed his legal training in Cologne with clerkships that included the Rhineland Regional Council, the Labour Law Department of a leading international business law firm and a leading law firm that specialises in labour law.
He was admitted to the bar in 2004.
Memberships and awards
- Member of the German Bar Association
- Member of the Cologne Bar Association
- Member of the Arbeitsrechtsausschusses des Kölner Anwaltsvereins (Working Party for Labour Law in the Cologne Bar Association)
- For the fourth consecutive time in the JUVE handbook 2018/2019 on the “Leading Partners in Labour Law” (“high strategic skill, meets the highest quality standards”, “sound technical basis, very pragmatic and collegial”)
- Repeatedly recommended by “Best Lawyers” (Handelsblatt), in particular under the heading “Germany’s best lawyers 2018” for labour law.
- Legal 500 counts Dr Richter among the most frequently recommended labour lawyers in Germany (“responds effectively to the client’s wishes” and the service “is excellent in every respect”; “good negotiator” with a “nose for practical solutions”)
Teaching activities and lectures
- Dr Marcus Richter regularly lectures on labour law topics.